Research Proposal Writing14-17 December, 2019
Led by: Dr Tom Parkinson/University of Kent and Dr Cath Camps/University of South Wales.
This workshop was run to support development of participants research for the October 2019 Grant Call.
Main Workshop Topics
Introduction to the Cara Syrian Fellowship Scheme:
- Key principles of grant proposal writing
- Summarising the project for lay audiences (non-specialist language)
- Finding some examples of literature
- Setting out the ‘state of the art’
- Identifying gaps in the knowledge base
- Locating the study in relation to extant research
- Research questions
- Choosing appropriate methods
- Engaging with methodological literature
Impact and beneficiaries:
- Defining academic value and impact beyond academia
- Academic and non-academic beneficiaries
- Publication/output strategy
An EAP colleague provided support throughout, focussing particularly on sentence level writing, idioms and vocabulary.